This Content is available in | Ce Contenu est disponible en | Dieser Inhalt ist verfügbar in
The Refuge is sited in Val Formazza at an altitude of 2.561m. It overlooks the cristal clear Sabbioni’s Lake, the biggest Ossola lagoon, and the surrounding mountains. You can park the car in Riale or in the parking space underneath Morasco’s dam and walk you way up. The hiking offers different trails with a total difference of height of about 843 m. The estimated hiking time is two-two and half-hours. The view from the top is stunning and includes the Arbola (Ofenhorn 3.235 m), the Sabbione’s top (Hohsandhorn 3.182 m) and the arduous Ban Horn (Corno di Ban 3.028 m).
The Somma Refuge is open!
The Somma Refuge is operational starting from the first weekend of July in the following periods:
- July: 01÷03 – 08÷10 – 15÷24 – 29÷31
- August: every day from 1/8 to 31/8
- September: 01÷04 – 09÷11 – 16÷18
We remember that:
- reservations are required for overnight stays, recommended for lunch;
- allergies and / or special dietary needs must be communicated at the time of booking in order to be able to properly dispose of the products suitable to meet specific needs;
- for overnight stays the use of a sheet bag is mandatory (disposable sheet bag available in the refuge); it is forbidden to use the sleeping bag, the beds are equipped with duvets and pillows.
Rates Season 2022
Info and reservations
+39 347 167 7062
(active only during refuge opening times, the phone is not enabled for messaging)
+39 347 845 7045
(phone number of the CAI of Somma L.do always valid for information and reservations)
firstname.lastname@example.org (always active for information and reservations)
Reservations are recommended for lunch, it’s essential for overnight stays.
To book, contact the numbers indicated or send an email to our mailbox where you can indicate a telephone number and specify the number of people concerned, if it is a family unit, the presence of adults or children or special dietary needs.
You will be contacted promptly, always considering that the refuge is run solely by volunteers.
Further info also on our social channels
The Somma Refuge is a small / medium-sized structure, with 18 beds divided into 6 – 4 bed rooms. It is owned by the CAI Section of Somma Lombardo and is managed directly by a group of volunteer members who take turns during the opening. Our aim is to keep a foothold in service in an alpine environment that gives hospitality to those who want to experience the beauty of the mountains. With this premise, we underline that the refuge, at these heights and with the obvious logistical difficulties, remains a high-altitude structure, not to be confused with a hotel accessible by road.
The refuge is open every weekend (Saturday and Sunday, with the possibility of staying overnight also on Friday evening, on request) normally from mid-June to the end of September and every day in August (always check the opening period that may present variations also due to weather conditions, in particular due to the presence of snow at the beginning or end of the season).
Rifugio Somma is part of the association A.G.R.A.P – Piedmontese Alpine Refuge Managers of Ossola.
- Stove heating
- Internal toilets
- Showers with hot water
- Electric lights
- Restaurant with a la carte menu
- Discounts CAI associated and reciprocity of foreign Alpine Clubs.
- 19 single beds with 4 and 7 bed bedrooms available
- Phone service Landline present
- Flip-flops available on site
- Bed linen (sheets) and sleeping sack available to buy
- Small library
- Table games
- WIFI NOT Available
- We accept payments in cash and by payment cards (POS)
- Mobile network coverage:
- Vodafone 80 %
- Wind3 20%
- TIM 0%